Monday 24 August 2009

Spa days – in Huddersfield?

As a pre-birthday treat, and to perhaps help calm and de-stress me after the realisation of being the wrong side of 25 hit home, Mum took me to the Titanic Spa in Huddersfield. Huddersfield, yes I know, not exactly sounding like the height of cosmo-sophistication especially when this is within walking distance of your own front doorstep. However, be prepared to rethink what it is you think of Huddersfield and spa days for that matter.


Titanic Spa, as you’ll see from their website, is set in an old textile mill in the suburban countryside sprawling from Huddersfield to Oldham and it is literally up the road from me – Lee and I have cycled passed it doing our canal tow path route from Milnsbridge to Standedge Tunnel. So, anyway, it’s quite an impressive building from the outside, although it’s still strange to see a converted mill (majority of which are – surprise surprise – apartments) outside of a city or town centre.


Inside, it’s the usual look and feel of a spa really. Tastefully decorated, minimal in terms of colour yet tactile with heavy woven carpets, leather chairs and exposed brick work. The only thing which seemed an issue was in the changing rooms. They were definitely finished to a high standard, were lovely and warm and kept clean however there was lack of individual cubicles to change in – in fact, other than a disabled changing cubicle, there weren’t any others. From the other women I saw in there throughout the day I don’t think that this was just an issue for me and my mum. I’m quite comfortable in my skin and my body – I’m just not that thrilled about the prospect of showing it all off to a group of women in changing room and this, for me, tarnished the pampering vibe before we’d got started. I’d have much rather my robe and slippers be sat waiting for me in a cubicle rather than a locker. But this really was my only criticism of the whole day.


The staff couldn’t have been friendlier and everyone made you feel at ease – must be that Yorkshire charm. We didn’t book any individual treatments as the spa offers it’s own heat experience which is a series of rooms, showers and plunge pools of different temperatures designed to improve skin tone and circulation – it was heaven! And really it was a good job we didn’t book any treatments as lunch was also included in the package and by the time we’d swam a bit and visited the heat experience we’d have been pushed for time. ‘Pushed’ is obviously being used very loosely here as we were there from 10am to 5:30pm!


Lunch was a buffet affair which consisted of not just rabbit food but also lots of carbs which were definitely needed after all that sweating in the sauna!


Mum and I had a great time and we’re looking forward to booking our next spa day session at Titanic Spa soon we just hope the weather’s as nice so we can sit out on the terrace again (yes, we had to question if we were still in Huddersfield Toto), although the robes were that warm and fluffy we you could probably sit out in December – just exchange the glass of Pimms for a hot chocolate.


K x

No comments:

Post a Comment